Tuesday, October 16, 2007

What I Do When I don't Understand God's Ways

(Job 3:11-13) Why died I not from the womb? why did I not give up the ghost when I came out of the belly? {12} Why did the knees prevent me? or why the breasts that I should suck? {13} For now should I have lain still and been quiet, I should have slept: then had I been at rest,

Sometimes I ask silly questions. Why did God deal with me this way? Why did God let this happen? Why is it necessary that I go through this? OK, so maybe they are not so silly, but the answer lies in the fact that God has a purpose when He works in our lives.

One thing that has always impressed me was the quick response Abraham had when God asked him to take Isaac to Mount Moriah. I am not so sure I would have responded so speedily. But I do try to be that way. Here are four things that I try to employ personally when I do not understand God's ways.

1. KNOW GOD. His ways are not ours, that is for sure. (Isa 55:8-9) For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. {9} For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. God sees and knows what we do not. He has a goal for our lives and a plan to reach that goal. And His divine motives are always good.

2. TRUST GOD. (Isa 41:10) Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness. I can always trust that what He says is true whether I understand it or not. And I can trust that He is able to carry out His desire for me by His mighty power.

3. OBEY GOD. (Isa 48:18) O that thou hadst hearkened to my commandments! then had thy peace been as a river, and thy righteousness as the waves of the sea: I should always obey God, regardless of the occasion or circumstance. Every adversity that I face is God's opportunity to show His gracious, mighty hand. From every great trial can come a great testimony if I am faithful to obey Him.

4. ASK GOD. (Isa 58:9) Then shalt thou call, and the LORD shall answer; thou shalt cry, and he shall say, Here I am. If thou take away from the midst of thee the yoke, the putting forth of the finger, and speaking vanity; If wisdom and understanding is to be found, it will come from God. (Jer 33:3) Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not.

God never puts more on me than I can bear (1 Cor 10:13), and nothing can separate me from His love (Rom 8:35-37). He's a wonderful Saviour to me.

No comments: