Thursday, October 18, 2007

If This Were My Last Day On Earth

It could be, you know. None of us knows exactly when our last moments shall be on this planet. It could be the grave, but I am hoping for the Rapture. I really would like to live long enough to see my grandson, James, graduate from high school. But God has a purpose in our lives and I am very content to follow His plan.

The Apostle Paul's last words in a letter to Timothy says, (2 Tim 4) 6For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. 7I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: 8Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

I ask myself "What would be my last words to my wife? - my children and grandchildren? - my neighbors and friends?

The overwhelming fact about all this is that as far as I know now, this is my last day on earth!

The words in the book of James are words we all need to pay close attention to: (James 4) 14Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away. 15For that ye ought to say, If the Lord will, we shall live, and do this, or that. 16But now ye rejoice in your boastings: all such rejoicing is evil. 17Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.

My life is certainly a vapor. Today will be what I make of it. The best I can do it the right thing.

No comments: