Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Lost Voice But Not The Song

One of the inevitables of growing old is that one's voice changes. Personally, my voice used to be much higher than it is today. But after preaching for forty years and racing toward the "sixty" mark, the voice I once had is now turned to gravel. Oh, I still have the volume and I believe, much of the stamina I had as a younger preacher. But the quality of the voice is gone.

Praise God, the song is still there! I find myself perusing through old song books and hymnals, remembering the worship and praise that came from joining my voice with others as we sang together in the congregation. One of my favorites says:
'Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus,
Just to take Him at His Word.
Just to rest upon His promise.
Just to know "thus saith the Lord."
Jesus, Jesus, how I trust Him.
How I've proved Him o'er and o'er.
Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus,
O, for grace to trust Him more.

I find myself vocalizing those old refrains more and more these days. And it is sweet to know that the heart of the song writer still rings true today - even if it comes for a gravelly voice.

Sing it true!

No comments: