Tuesday, September 14, 2010

SUFFICIENT

2Co 12:7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure. 2Co 12:8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. 2Co 12:9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
In January of 2005, our church closed the deal of the sale of our old building on Massachusetts Avenue in Indianapolis. We moved into a warehouse in Lawrence, which was suppose to be for only a short period of one year. We did this thinking that we would be able to begin the building of our new church building by fall of 2006. We had our architectural plans made, secured the services of a builder, and purchased a steel building for the primary structure. All this not taking into account that the Lord was going to allow the “messenger of Satan” to bring us a thorn in the flesh. We spent five years and three months in that warehouse praying, pruning and preparing for the leadership of the Holy Spirit. We discovered that the harshest thorn can bring us to a greater knowledge and relationship in the grace of God. Therefore, I say, we owe that thorn a debt of gratitude.
Our Lord certainly knows how to prepare us for what we must face in the future. Whether it be illness, lack of finances, or emotional heartache, the grace of God is sufficient to turn our weaknesses into the strength of Almighty God. We owe a debt of gratitude to every adversity that comes our way for it allows us to see the hand of God in our lives. We can glory in our infirmities and when we do it brings us to the power of Christ resting upon us.
By the way, God has given us a wonderful church building to worship in and though the thorns keep coming the grace of God is still sufficient. Amen!

No comments: