Friday, December 31, 2010

AS I REACH MY JOURNEY'S END

Acts 20:24 But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God.

Paul was granted his heart's desire. "I have finished my course," he wrote later, and it was with joy. Not with money or earthly possessions, because he wrote from a dungeon, needing his cloak and parchments. Not with a host of friends, for all men had forsook him. Not with fame, for he died a martyr. But he finished with joy, anticipating a crown.

Just as the last day of the year anticipates a new year, so journey's end for the Christian is but the end of a prelude. Phil 1:23 For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better:  There are no turns for the worse. To die is gain, even death for the believer is a paying proposition. 

It was for the joy that was set before Him that our Lord endured the cross despising the shame. And looking unto him we run with patience and finish with joy.

Some who have known starting grace and sustaining grace have grown careless about finishing grace. What fools we can be on the mile! Be sure to make your last testimony the joy of journey's end!

No comments: